When feeding their pet natural food, owners must consider their pet’s needs. If the basis of the diet consists of meat products, the second most important component is the crust. It is a natural source of carbohydrates, fiber, as well as vitamins and trace elements necessary for the growth, development and health of four-legged pets. But it is necessary to understand that not all cereals are useful for dogs. In addition, in some cases, you should consider certain features.
It has feeding porridge
When choosing the cereal for your dog, you should be based on the age, health, physiological characteristics, the conditions in which the animal is contained and the requirements of the breed. Cereals should be 25-40% of the daily diet.
Cooking cereals can be separated or cooked porridge with meat and vegetable additives. The optimal combination of ingredients is 30% of cereals, 40% of meat or fish and 30% of vegetables and fortified supplements.
You can add a little salt to the dish, but only after cooking. But if the pet has a tendency to form stones in the bladder or kidneys, then it is necessary to reduce the amount of salt or not to salt the porridge.
Among the semolina, which is better to exclude from the diet, is pearl barley, the normal digestion of the animal’s gastrointestinal tract cannot. Which type of cereal benefits our little friends?
Useful dog cereal
In fact, there aren’t that many grains you can feed dogs without harming your health:
- Buckwheat is in the first place, since this is the most useful cereal and suitable for all dogs. It is enriched with iron, magnesium, calcium, vitamin B and proteins of vegetable origin. Of course, this refers to high-quality cramp, not steam and other treatments. An important quality of buckwheat is that in the process of cooking it does not lose its usefulness. Buckwheat porridge has a positive effect on the metabolism in the dog’s body. It also has a stimulating effect on the cardiovascular system, strengthens the immune mechanisms. Cooked porridge in poor condition.
- Rice bran is a natural absorbent ingredient that stimulates the metabolism. In addition, rice contains vitamins, magnesium, calcium and iron. Boil the rice porridge until it has a crumbly consistency. After the dish is cooked, it is necessary to let the porridge stand for 20-30 minutes. The crust is characterized by a special benefit, which is not processed, because the rice husk contains many nutrients. Uncooked cereals are suitable for feeding sick animals, as well as for problems with the gastrointestinal tract. In cases of poisoning, it is recommended to feed your pet with rice water.
- Barley grain is a highly enriched product, which even contains trace elements such as silicon, fluorine and chromium. However, we should not hope that the animal’s body is able to fully assimilate all useful substances. But barley porridge still gives the pet the necessary energy and compensates for the deficit of individual elements. In addition, barley seed stimulates the activity of the gastrointestinal tract. But to give a similar mess every day is not recommended.
- Oatmeal – this includes oats and Hercules, it is a storehouse of useful trace elements – calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium and all kinds of vitamins. This is a great product to diversify your dog’s diet, but you shouldn’t make it the main course. And yes, this porridge should not be included in the diet of a dog suffering from or prone to urolithiasis.
This is almost all the cereals that can be given to the dog. However, there are still grains included in the diet in some cases.
Porridge for nutrition under certain conditions
But for the following cereals we can say that they benefit only in certain cases:
- Corn – this porridge has low nutritional value and very few useful ingredients in it. This makes it unsuitable for feeding a healthy dog. But it has a lot of carbs. Corn porridge is recommended to give the animal an inflammatory process in the tissues of the intestinal mucosa. Its consumption reduces the fermentation processes and the rotting of food in the intestines.
- The bran is the central part of the wheat, which is deprived in the processing process of most of the useful components. There is very little fiber, vitamins and minerals in semolina. But it is precisely the low fiber content that makes this product important in the menu of pets with diseases of the digestive system. This is due to the fact that it is better digested. And in this case, it is suitable for feeding both puppies and adult dogs. However, experts do not recommend regularly and without the need to give it to an animal, as this will lead to a set of excess body weight and the acquisition of a loose constitution.
- Wheat groats are a product rich in magnesium, zinc, iodine and vitamins. However, the wheat kernel is not fully digested in the dog’s digestive system. And the high starch content does not make porridge suitable for daily nutrition. But undamaged residues can clean the intestinal walls, which is an undoubted advantage. This mess is recommended to give active dogs with a healthy gastrointestinal tract. In other cases, its inclusion in the diet is better to refuse.
As you can see, cereals are not such simple products, so before you cook your favorite porridge, you should familiarize yourself with some of the nuances. I hope we answer the question: “What cereals can be given to dogs?”